We’re putting Obagi Medical up against popular skincare brand Medik8 to see which is better on everything from product range, to efficacy and results, to cost, to reviews, and more. If you like to compare skincare brands you’re in the right place!
Whether you want to turn back the clock on fine lines and wrinkles, address troublesome acne, give your skin the vitamin C it’s craving, or something else, these two brands have the products to help, whatever your skin goals.
Here’s what we’ll cover in this article:
- What is the Obagi range ?
- What is the Medik8 range?
- What is the main difference between the two brands?
- What skin issues does Obagi tackle?
- What skin issues does Medik8 tackle?
- What products are in the Obagi range?
- What products are in the Medik8 range?
- What do reviews of Obagi and Medik8 say?
- Where can I buy both ranges?
- How much is Obagi and Medik8?
- Summary: Should I choose Obagi or Medik8?
What is the Obagi range?
At Face Dr, our Skin Experts regularly recommend products from the Obagi Medical range as it offers award-winning, highly effective, science-backed formulations that our clients experience fantastic results from again and again.
The brand offers both the Obagi Clinical range, which is non-prescription, and the Obagi Medical range, which is prescription-only and much more effective on a number of skin issues. Obagi is offered by many skin clinics and professionals with specialist experience in treating skin issues.
What is the Medik8 range?
Medik8 is a popular skincare brand that began as a small lab in the back of a pharmacy. Their formulations value fair trade, sustainability and natural ingredients, but with a foundation in science.
The range is aimed mainly at mature skin and promises to help maintain a more youthful complexion with their simple philosophy of “vitamin C plus sunscreen by day, and vitamin A by night”. Their range comes recommended by skin specialists, but it is not a prescription brand.
What is the main difference between the two brands?
The Obagi range is clinic-led and must be prescribed by professionals (like our Skin Experts here at Face Dr) that know how best to treat many different skin issues and conditions.
Medik8 is often recommended by skin specialists, and while it can be effective for some, it is readily available to buy online and is not a prescription product. This means that it is not the same strength of products as Obagi. Because of this, many people will find it won’t offer the same results.
What skin issues does Obagi tackle?
In a nutshell… everything! The Obagi Medical range is extremely versatile and helps get on top of a range of skin concerns.
Some of the most popular collections within the range include the Obagi Nu-Derm® Skin Transformation System which treats issues of hyperpigmentation and dark spots, and the Obagi ClenziDerm M.D.® Acne Therapeutic System to treat difficult acne. There are many other products within the range, but both these collections are designed to offer the very best results for clients.
Obagi offers products for everything from ageing skin to sun damaged skin, so if you’re looking for incredibly effective products as recommended by a professional in-the-know, speak to your Skin Expert to find out if it could be the range for you. Some of its abilities include tackling:
- Hyperpigmentation, dark spots and an uneven skin tone
- Ageing skin (fine lines and wrinkles)
- Acne-prone skin
- Dry skin
- Rough skin
What skin issues does Medik8 tackle?
Medik8 has something for every skin concern, and even has an anti-pollution range. It is believed that regular exposure to pollution and UV radiation can make skin appear and feel dull, tired and aged, so this is a particularly handy range for those who live in urban areas.
The Medik8 range has vegan products that promise to remove traces of pollutants from the skin and form a protective barrier to defend against environmental stressors. Medik8 has products to help with:
- Ageing skin (fine lines and wrinkles)
- Hyperpigmentation, dark spots and other types of discolouration
- Dry skin
- Large or clogged pores
What products are in the Obagi range?
The Obagi range is jam-packed with options for all types of skin and skin concerns. From daily cleansers, moisturisers and sunscreens, to more targeted products like serums, eye creams and skin exfoliators.
Being a prescription-only range means that you can get expert, personalised advice from a Skin Expert who can recommend you the very best products for your skin based on their experience in the industry and previous client results.
Although they can recommend products from the entire Obagi Medical range, there are a few stand-out products that our Skin Experts regularly recommend due to their fantastic results:
- The Obagi CLENZIderm M.D.® Acne Therapeutic System - This collection is specifically formulated for those with troublesome acne, and has had great results for many clients who have always struggled to keep blemishes under control. You can learn more about this range in our article; What is Obagi CLENZIderm M.D.® and how does it work?
- The Obagi Nu-Derm® Skin Transformation System - Created for skin that’s showing signs of ageing, photodamage, and/or hyperpigmentation, this is a complete skin overhaul. You can read more about it in our article; What is the Obagi Nu-Derm® system and how does it work?
- Obagi’s range of Tretinoin creams - This range of four different strengths of tretinoin helps tackle acne, but is also sometimes prescribed to reduce inflammation, prevent follicle clogging, exfoliate skin, treat sun-damaged skin and reduce the appearance of dark spots. You can read more in our article; What is Tretinoin and how does it work?
What products are in the Medik8 range?
Like many skincare ranges, Medik8 has everyday products like cleansers, toners and sunscreens and all are vegan-friendly, which is a big selling point of the brand. Their more targeted treatments are what get them such positive results from customers. Here are some of their bestsellers:
- Daily Radiance Vitamin C - This lightweight SPF 30 cream is a 2-in-1 moisturiser to help energise your skin in the morning. It delivers antioxidant protection and a brighter, more even complexion, as well as future-proofing skin ageing and reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
- Surface Radiance Cleanse - This resurfacing cleansing gel is a bestseller, with an exfoliating AHA/BHA complex to smooth and brighten lacklustre skin. It’s particularly good for those looking to reduce the appearance of ageing skin and boost radiance to brighten up dull skin.
- Crystal Retinal - According to world-renowned skincare expert Caroline Hirons, “As far as retinol goes, Medik8 is the market leader” - this is a great endorsement for their retinol products, which offer youthful skin with a next-generation form of vitamin A proven to deliver results up to 11x faster.
What do reviews of Obagi and Medik8 say?
Sometimes it takes a few honest customer reviews to make your mind up. After all, knowing that others are backing the product you’re on the fence about could help you make the decision once and for all, and feel confident doing so.
Here are some customer reviews of the bestselling products in both the Obagi Medical and the Medik8 ranges:
“I first found this product through my wife. As a 32 year old male with sensitive skin I used to have all sorts of theories for breakouts on my face. Too much chocolate/sweets, peanut allergies, etc. My breakouts virtually disappeared after I started using this face wash. I use it once a day in the evening when I take a shower.”
Kay, Obagi customer using Obagi Nu-Derm® Gentle Cleanser
There aren’t many negative reviews for the Obagi range, but for this product the lowest rated review mentions an unpleasant smell. This could be a one-off, but it’s worth keeping in mind if you are particularly sensitive to products with a strong scent.
“Perfect staple. I am obsessed with this cleanser. I have used it for years and nothing compares to this. It leaves my skin feeling soft and nourished whilst gently exfoliating and refreshing the layer of skin cells. The scent is incredible too!”
Ella B, Medik8 customer using Surface Radiance Cleanse™
Medik8 has many positive reviews, but the few negative ones mention that this cleanser is too harsh for their skin, so those with sensitive skin should keep this in mind. Getting professional advice can help you avoid purchasing products that don’t work for your skin, and ultimately leave you out of pocket. Our Skin Experts offer free advice that can help with this.
Where can I buy both ranges?
The Obagi Medical range is available on a prescription-only basis, so to order one of the products you will need to speak to a professional who is authorised to help you - Face Dr’s Skin Experts can do this for you.
All it takes is a free video consultation so your Skin Expert can learn more about your skin needs and the products you’re interested in, and they can recommend products they believe will have the best effect on your skin.
Medik8 is a well-known skincare brand that you will find in many beauty salons, clinics, and online stores around the world. Although their products are considered professional and often recommended by beauticians and the like, their availability in high street stores means their ingredients are likely to be less effective than Obagi’s, as you do not need a prescription to purchase them. You can find your local stockist here.
How much does Obagi and Medik8 cost?
Obagi products can be purchased through a range of authorised stockists, both online and in store, so prices will vary depending on the stockist. Face Dr Obagi products should always be sold at the RRP, which ranges from £23 to £159 depending on the product or collection.
Full size Medik8 products tend to range from around £22 to £149, which are fairly expensive for non-prescription skincare products. However, they do have a few travel size products which make it easier to try some of their bestsellers before investing in a full size product.
Summary: Should I choose Obagi or Medik8?
It’s clear that both Obagi and Medik8 products have incredibly effective formulations and great results for clients and customers, so if you’re stuck between the two... we understand! Our Skin Experts are on hand to help you choose, and will only ever offer unbiased advice with all the information you need to make a fully informed decision.
Although we only offer prescription Obagi Medical products because of our experience with their game-changing results, we will always let you know truthfully if we believe these are the right products for you. If you decide another product is more suited, there will never be any pressure to purchase from us.
Whether you are considering Obagi or Medik8 products, we always urge you to book a free video consultation to chat about your options and access any prescription-only products that your Skin Expert thinks could work for you. If you do decide to shop with us, we’ll post your products out to you next working day, anywhere in the UK.
Ready to find out which range is for you?
Want to read more from our blog? Here are some articles that may interest you:
- Obagi skincare; Everything you need to know
- Obagi Nu-Derm vs. Obagi CLENZIderm; what’s the difference?
- Obagi Medical vs. Obagi Clinical; FX & RX Demystified