There are an endless number of skincare brands out there on the market, each one promising the world. So how do you find the best one for you?
At Face Dr, we typically recommend a handful of premium, medical-grade skincare brands that we know are incredibly effective due to years of getting results for our clients; however, we love to look at other popular brands to compare against our trusted clinical skincare brands.
Here, we’re comparing ZO Skin Health and Alpha-H Skincare, so if you’ve been thinking about trying either of these ranges (both are available in the UK and Australia), we’re dishing up all the details…
Ready to find out if ZO Skin Health products are for you? Click here:
Here’s what we’ll cover in this article:
- What is ZO Skin Health?
- What is Alpha-H Skincare?
- What skin issues does ZO Skin Health tackle?
- What skin issues does Alpha-H tackle?
- What skin type is ZO Skin Health for, and what kind of products do they have?
- What skin type is Alpha-H for, and what kind of products do they have?
- Where can I buy ZO Skin Health products?
- Where can I buy Alpha-H products?
- How much are ZO Skin Health products?
- How much are Alpha-H products?
- What do the reviews say about both products?
- Summary: Should I choose ZO Skin Health or Alpha-H?
What is ZO Skin Health?
ZO Skin Health is a brand our Skin Experts regularly recommend to clients due to its fantastic results. This medical-grade brand was created by Dr Zein Obagi, and has for years provided highly effective formulations with the very best active ingredients to help tackle even the toughest skin concerns. From hyperpigmentation to skin ageing to sensitivity, they have products to help with any skin issue you are trying to address.
What is Alpha H?
Alpha-H is an Australian skincare brand offering “clinically sophisticated, results-driven, corrective skincare”. Their products have been developed over 25 years, and they focus on the use of glycolic acid and other accelerating acids to improve skin health, as well as effective active ingredients and antioxidant-rich botanicals. Their three pillars of skin health are:
- “Activate with pH-balancing cleansers to reboot skin for self-repair”
- “Accelerate with acid treatments that build skin's resilience”
- “Advocate to nourish and protect your skin's health and vitality”
What skin issues does ZO Skin Health tackle?
ZO Skin Health has many products containing medical-grade ingredients that help with a spectrum of skin concerns, and their range has been designed to be inclusive of as many skin conditions and issues as possible. They offer products that help to:
- Tackle stubborn acne
- Improve the appearance of ageing skin (such as fine lines and wrinkles)
- Reduce hyperpigmentation
- Calm inflammation
- Address specific skin conditions like rosacea
- Prevent sun damage
- And more
What skin issues does Alpha-H tackle?
Alpha-H also strives to cater to all skin types, and you can shop by skin concern on their website. They offer products to help with:
- Blemish-prone skin and acne breakouts
- Dry and dehydrated skin
- Signs of ageing, such as fine lines and wrinkles
- Oily and shiny skin
- Sensitive skin
- And more
What skin type is ZO Skin Health for, and what kind of products do they have?
ZO Skin Health has spent years developing products that can help as many skin types as possible, so our Skin Experts love to curate the perfect skincare routine for our clients using a combination of ZO products, as they offer the best results.
They have everyday essentials like cleansers, moisturisers and sunscreens, as well as more targeted products like serums, masks, and night creams. A few of their most recommended and best-selling products include:
- Daily Power Defense: This lightweight serum supports the skin's health while improving hydration and protecting against environmental damage. Its ingredients are tailor made to boost collagen and cell renewal, and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. You can read more about Daily Power Defense on our blog.
- Hydrating Cleanser: This cleanser-hydrator combo helps to remove impurities like oil and makeup from skin, while addressing dehydrated skin. If you have very dry skin, or a skin condition like eczema or psoriasis, your Skin Expert may prescribe this.
- Exfoliating Polish: This effective exfoliator works wonders to remove dead skin cells and encourage a smooth, silky skin texture. By exfoliating away impurities and dead skin, you can achieve maximum penetration for more targeted products, which leads to all-around healthier, brighter skin.
What skin type is Alpha-H for, and what kind of products do they have?
Alpha-H also prides itself on being suitable for almost all skin types, with ranges to suit everyone. Some of their best-selling products include:
- Balancing Cleanser: This creamy, multi-tasking cleanser contains vitamin E and aloe vera to create a gentle, non-stripping formula that keeps the skin's natural pH balanced while cleansing away the day.
- Daily Essential Moisturiser SPF 50+: This SPF moisturiser provides the ultimate 2-in-1 skincare product, with a luxurious formula that’s rich in antioxidants and provides extra hydration and a dewy-finish. With broad spectrum protection and a light texture, this is a popular daily moisturising product.
- Liquid Gold with 5% Glycolic Acid: Their signature product is a powerful 5% glycolic acid liquid exfoliant to help improve brightness and skin tone, support collagen production, reduce the signs of sun damage and ageing, and more.
Where can I buy ZO Skin Health products?
ZO Skin Health products are only available for purchase with a prescription through an approved stockist, as they contain a high percentage of medical-grade active ingredients. If you happen to find ZO products for sale online with no prescription needed, these are most likely counterfeit or out-of-date products and won’t get you the same results as the real thing.
For real, effective ZO Skin Health products, you can book a free consultation with a Skin Expert at Face Dr, who will chat to you about your skin history, concerns, and goals and recommend the best products for you with absolutely no pressure to buy.
Where can I buy Alpha-H products?
Alpha-H products do not contain the same strength of active ingredients as ZO Skin Health products do and are therefore available to buy on their website without a prescription.
How much are ZO Skin Health products?
ZO Skin Health products range from around £30 for a toner to around £160 for an anti-ageing serum. To find out specific prices, you can book your free consultation with one of our Skin Experts.
How much are Alpha-H products?
Alpha-H product prices vary, but to give you a rough idea, their bestselling cleanser is priced at £31.99, while their most popular targeted serum is £74.99.
What do the reviews say about both products?
Both ZO Skin Health and Alpha-H have great reviews on many of their best-selling products. Here is a review from the Alpha-H website:
“Huge fan of this cleanser!!! I have sensitive yet combo skin, and this keeps my skin clear without overdrying, plus it’s not greasy at all.”
- Em, Sephora customer using Alpha-H Balancing Cleanser
And here is a review from the Face Dr website:
“Love the light consistency of the gel, feels gentle on my skin without stripping it. The skin feels refreshed and hydrated after. Highly recommend.”
- Katie S., Face Dr client using ZO Gentle Cleanser
Summary: Should I choose ZO Skin Health or Alpha-H?
Deciding which skincare brand to try out (and potentially stick with long term) can be tough, as you may feel you are gambling with your skincare budget when trying new products.
Both ZO Skin Health and Alpha-H have very well-reviewed, effective products that offer great results no matter what skin type you have, but often the difference will come down to the active ingredients. If you do not suffer from a specific skin condition and would like to order and try products from a website, then the Alpha-H range might suit you.
Otherwise, if you struggle with specific skin issues or have a goal in mind for your skin, ZO Skin Health products may be able to help you see real results. Their medical-grade ingredients and effective formulations mean our Skin Experts continue to recommend them again and again.
Keep in mind that your Skin Expert will only ever recommend products that they truly believe will be effective on your skin, and you will never feel pressured to buy a product that you don’t agree is right for you. Taking into account ingredients, formulations, reviews, results, cost, and much more, they can recommend the exact products you need.
If you’re thinking of trying either Alpha-H or ZO Skin Health products, we recommend booking a free video consultation:
Want to read more from our blog? Here are some articles that may interest you:
- Which brand is better: ZO Skin Health vs. Medik8 (Updated 2023)
- ZO Skin Health vs Ultra Violette; which SPF range is best?
- ZO Skin Health vs Drunk Elephant | which skincare range is best?