Curious to know what double cleansing is, and why people do it? We’re here to lift the lid on any skincare jargon you’re not sure about, so if you want to know about all things double cleansing, you’re in the right place.
At Face Dr, our Skin Experts regularly recommend medical-grade brands such as ZO Skin Health to our clients because of the incredible results we’ve seen, so if you’re looking for a highly effective, game-changing cleanser for your new double cleanse routine, you’ll also learn about ZO Gentle Cleanser, ZO Exfoliating Cleanser, and ZO Balancing Cleansing Emulsion, right here.
Want to skip ahead to get your hands on the cleanser of your dreams? Book an appointment with one of our Skin Experts here:
Here’s what we’ll cover in this article:
- What does it mean to ‘double cleanse’?
- Who would benefit from double cleansing?
- What is ZO Skin Health?
- What are the best ZO Skin Health cleansers?
- How to double cleanse
- Is ZO Balancing Cleansing Emulsion for you?
- Is ZO Gentle Cleanser for you?
- Is ZO Exfoliating Cleanser for you?
- Summary: Should I double cleanse with a ZO Skin Health product, and which one?
What does it mean to ‘double cleanse’?
Double cleansing is exactly what it sounds like; cleansing… twice!
The difference is, if you want to double cleanse you must switch to a different cleanser for your second cleanse. Ideally the first on your list should be an oil-based cleanser to dislodge and remove impurities from the skin, such as makeup, excess sebum and environmental pollution.
The second cleanser should ideally be a water-based one, which is applied to your now-clean skin and can get to the deeper layers to remove trapped dirt and sweat.
Essentially, double cleansing offers a more in-depth cleanse to remove the excess impurities and dead skin cells that keep skin looking dull and unhealthy.
Who would benefit from double cleansing?
Not everyone needs to double cleanse. This technique should be thought of as an optional extra to boost your skin health if you think you need it. Here are a few reasons why you might choose to double cleanse:
- Your skin looks dull or lacklustre — double cleansing can help brighten skin by removing impurities and dead skin cells
- You live in an area with high levels of pollution, such as a busy city — if you want to ensure environmental pollution is properly cleared from your skin, double cleansing can help remove more of this
- You suffer from acne and want to avoid buildup of bacteria and excess sebum — double cleansing can help to properly unclog pores of bacteria and more
- You have oily skin — oily skin types might find using two gentle formulas rather than one strong one could help to manage the oiliness of skin without drying it out
- You wear heavy makeup — double cleansing can help to properly remove all traces of makeup from skin
What is ZO Skin Health?
ZO Skin Health is a premium skincare brand created by leading dermatologist Dr Zein Obagi. Their incredible formulations make use of the very best in skincare science and medical-grade ingredients to ensure every product achieves great results. Their formulations are created with a wide range of skin conditions in mind, so if you currently suffer from specific skin issues, their products could help.
They offer a range of products (such as targeted treatments, sunscreens, and more) to help with all skin types, and their cleansers are some of the best around. This is why our Skin Experts regularly recommend them as part of a healthy skincare routine for our clients.
What are the best ZO Skin Health cleansers?
If you’re interested in trying double cleansing and wondering which products you need, there are many combinations you could opt for. Our Skin Experts can advise in your free skincare consultation if double cleansing is best for your skin, how to do it properly, and which products would work for you.
We offer only premium products from the best brands as discovered by our Skin Experts, so we have multiple brands in our range that allow us to offer the best products for your specific skin needs. When it comes to cleansers, based on our experience with clients, we believe ZO Skin Health offers some of the best available. Plus, they have multiple medical-grade cleansers in their range that offer two perfect combinations for double cleansing:
- ZO Balancing Cleansing Emulsion and ZO Gentle Cleanser
- ZO Balancing Cleansing Emulsion and ZO Exfoliating Cleanser
How to double cleanse
Now that you know why double cleansing can be so effective, and what products are best to use, it’s time to learn how to double cleanse.
- Apply your oil-based cleanser (we recommend ZO Balancing Cleansing Emulsion for this) to your face and massage into skin using circular motions for at least one minute. This will dislodge any impurities in skin and remove excess makeup. When doing this, don’t miss the skin around your hairline and in the areas around the eyes, but do be careful when applying product near the eyes.
- Use lukewarm water and a face cloth to wipe away the cleanser from skin, along with any dirt, impurities and makeup.
- While your skin is still damp, apply your water-based cleanser this time, and as before, massage into the skin for around one minute.
- When you are finished, rinse your skin with lukewarm water.
- Use a soft towel to pat your skin dry (try not to rub it dry as this can pull the delicate skin on your face).
Your Skin Expert will advise the best way for you to double cleanse in order to achieve the most effective results for your skin. You will likely be advised to double cleanse only in the evening to remove makeup and impurities from the day, but they may advise twice a day if they think it is needed.
Is ZO Balancing Cleansing Emulsion for you?
ZO Balancing Cleansing Emulsion is a conditioning gel-to-milk cleanser that is clinically proven to support skin that is particularly sensitive, suffers from eczema, or has just had a procedure such as a chemical peel. It’s fragrance-free, sulfate-free and dye-free, so it provides an extra gentle cleanse for anyone who doesn’t want harsh ingredients in their daily routine.
Our Skin Experts regularly recommend cleansing with this gentle cleanser first for skin that feels soft, healthy and hydrated, and following with another ZO cleansing product. Your Skin Expert might also recommend this as your primary cleanser if you have very sensitive skin.
You can read more here; Find out more about ZO Skin Health’s Balancing Cleansing Emulsion
Is ZO Gentle Cleanser for you?
ZO Gentle Cleanser is a gentle, foaming cleanser that’s suitable for all skin types. It has been formulated to remove impurities, unclog pores and leave skin feeling refreshed, clean and hydrated, so it’s a great way to start your double cleanse routine. It’s also excellent at removing makeup without drying out skin, promoting hydration, removing excess oil, and offering free radical protection.
You can read more here; Is ZO Skin Health's Gentle Cleanser right for me?
Is ZO Exfoliating Cleanser for you?
ZO Exfoliating Cleanser is another gentle cleansing product, and by far our clients’ favourite facial cleanser. It contains foaming surfactants that help to remove dirt and excess sebum, and additional exfoliating properties that can help normal to oily skin, so it’s fantastic at removing surface oils without drying out or stripping the skin of its natural hydration. The ingredients inside help provide free-radical protection as well as removing impurities.
Your Skin Expert may recommend this product for your second cleanse if you have particularly oily skin.
You can read more here; Is ZO Skin Health's Exfoliating Cleanser right for me?
Summary: Should I double cleanse with a ZO Skin Health product, and which one?
To double cleanse, or not to double cleanse? You may be curious to know if this is the best solution to whatever skin issues you are facing, or if double cleansing could simply give your skin a fresh glow.
You can try this yourself with high street brand products, or if you would like bespoke, expert skin advice and a step-by-step plan to improve your skin on a long-term basis, our Skin Experts can help.
With medical-grade ingredients and science-backed formulas, ZO Skin Health products could certainly be the ones you have been searching for, so if you want to try medical-grade skincare that offers game-changing results for your skin, you can book a free video call with one of our Skin Experts to discuss your skin history, goals, and any other skin issues you may be experiencing.
They may suggest a ZO Skin Health cleanser (or two!), or they may point you in the direction of another brand — we always aim to give you unbiased, honest advice, so we will never recommend a product that we don’t fully believe will help you see results.
Ready to try double cleansing the right way? Book a consultation with a Skin Expert here:
Want to read more from our blog? Here are some articles that may interest you:
- Which brand is better: ZO Skin Health vs. Medik8
- Learn more about ZO Skin Health’s Illuminating AOX Serum
- ZO Skin Health vs. Obagi; what's the difference?